Did you know that there are no federal regulations monitoring the chemicals in household products???
Since we moved into our new house last month, I have ONLY used nontoxic products to clean. It feels good to make that transition. Usually I have a headache by the time I’m done cleaning from inhaling all the chemicals. Not anymore. Grab your booch and read on because I found some inexpensive alternatives so you don’t have to.
But first, Why NONTOXIC Cleaning Products?
Well, I am not an expert, but I do my research. This article lays out the harms of chemicals in our cleaning products. (I’ll touch on a more detailed breakdown in a later post). However in a nutshell, stay away from the following chemicals:
- Perchloroethylene or “PERC” …
- Quarternary Ammonium Compounds, or “QUATS” …
- Sodium Hydroxide
Being exposed to these chemicals on a weekly/routinely basis does cause harm. Collectively, these chemicals are linked to asthma, cancer, reproductive disorders, hormone disruption and neurotoxicity.
Well, What Products Are NONTOXIC?
Here are just SOME (there’s many, there will be a part two to this) cleaning products that are JUST AS EFFICIENT as conventional brands. And they are all under $6. #WINNING
1.Honest Company Multi-Service Cleaner: It’s the equivalent of a conventional multi purpose cleaner without all the toxins. At just $5.95 this product cleans and removes the dirt from all surfaces in your home. No harsh chemical fumes as the scent is essential oil based. Most importantly it is made WITHOUT ammonia, SLS, SLES, fragrances, glycol, dyes, chlorine, bleach, DEA, formaldehyde carriers, triclosan, or caustics.
2. Earth Friendly Shower Cleaner: I like to double up when cleaning the shower – that is why this product is ideal because it’s only $2.79 when you order through thrive market. SO inexpensive. It is non-toxic, all natural, tea tree oil based and makes scrubbing sessions alot easier.
3. Mrs. Meyers Dish Soap: Super affordable at $3.99 and works so well. I can de-grease any pot or pan with this soap. AND it doesn’t contain any of those toxic chemicals usually found in conventional dish soap. This item is free of Phthalates, Glycol Solvents, Chlorine, Formaldehyde, Artificial Colors, Parabens, Animal Derived Ingredients, MEA, and DEA.
4. Ecover Toilet Cleaner: This is a super cost efficient product at $3.49 – being green doesn’t always mean you have to spend a ton of money to do it. This product is made with renewable, plant-based ingredients, and works just as well, as conventional toilet cleaners.
5. Bon Ami Cleaning Powder: This product is SO effective when you need to scrub the bathroom and any other spot in the house. It is free of chlorine, dyes and scents so often found in traditional products. Instead, the product is made of biodegradable limestone, soda ash, and baking soda. And it is super inexpensive for $1.25!
6. Mrs. Meyer’s Hand Soap: Last but not least, you need to clean up yourself after cleaning the house – so my go to hand soap is also Mrs. Meyers. It is naturally derived, PARABEN FREE, made in the USA and uses aloe vera, olive oil and essential oils to make your hands super soft. And it’s only $3.99.
Most of these brands are available are Target, Shoprite, Wholefoods, or of course Thrive Market. If your interested in trying out Thrive Market, use my link (http://thrv.me/bringyourownkombucha) and you’ll get a one month free membership! Or to try out Honest Company’s awesome bundles use this link (http://www.honest.com/refer/BYOK).
So peruse your local supermarket and start transitioning over to healthy, earth friendly, nontoxic products. Have any questions, let me know! Sip, sip and BOOCH on xx Erica