If you are following along in our #IFChallenge, you’ll know that you are allowed to have black organic coffee during the fasting period. You can also add some healthy fats into your coffee such as ghee or mcto oil. Amanda, our resident IF expert and founder of EatPur, has shared her recipe with the BYOK readers below.
Grass fed Organic Butter
- Cut the grass fed butter into even cubes.
- Transfer cubes into a small sauce pan and turn stove on to a low heat.
- Without stirring allow butter to melt and cook on the low heat setting for 35-45 mins.
- Foam will start to form on top after the butter has melted. Using a dry spoon, continuously remove the foam and discard.
- Once the Ghee is done, you will see the top layer as translucent and some milk solids at the bottom.
- Turn stove off and carefully pour the hot Ghee through a cheesecloth into a seal-able glass jar.
- Discard the cheesecloth and leave jar open to cool until the Ghee turns solid.
- Seal glass jar and store the Ghee in a cool place.
Tip: Ghee is a saturated fat made up of medium and short-chain fatty acids. Along with coconut oil, Ghee is nutritionally rich and is a great source for healthy fats.
Consuming saturated fat has many health benefits such as:
-builds cell membranes
-are carriers of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, etc)
-shield us from harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract.